Total Pageviews

Friday, February 15, 2013

Gotta love Elmer's glue




I made these cute little snowmen from the Elmer's glue recipe below.  They are quick and easy to make, and very cute.  I baked the first 2 in the oven and really like the puffyness of them.  Makes them a little more realistic.  I then rolled some out, and cut them with a cookie cutter but have not had a chance to paint them yet.  They worked fine too but they do take about a week to air dry.  They get very hard and are very durable.  You can sand them, paint them, and even drill holes in them.  I love the fact that no two are alike when you bake them in the oven.  I baked them for about two maybe 2 1/2 hours at 200 degrees, to dry them.  It depends on how thick your dough is. 

Glue dough recipe

1/2 cup Elmer's glue
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup cornstarch
Acrylic paints
Any embellishments you intend to use

Mix all ingredients and knead well. If it is too dry just add a bit more  Elmer's glue. If it is too wet add a bit more flour and cornstarch. You can shape the dough into just about anything you choose. You can also roll it out onto a floured surface and use cookie cutters to cut out shapes. You can bake these in a 200 degree oven to speed up the drying time. Once dry you can paint with acrylic paints. Seal with medium sealer recipe below. Store any leftover dough in an airtight container or sealed ziplock bag.
Yield: approximately a small softball size ball

Elmer's glue (light sealer)
one part Elmer's glue
one part water
Mix well and store in a sealed container.

Elmer's glue(medium sealer)
Two parts Elmer's glue
One part water
Mix well and store in a sealed container.

Elmer's glue(heavy sealer)
Three parts Elmer's glue
One part water
Mix well and store in a sealed container.

Elmer's glue has been around for many years and has many uses.  I use it as a sealer on alot of my paint projects.  Once I have basecoated the piece I mix a 50/50 mix of Elmer's glue and water for a light sealer.  It serves as a light sealer for when I accidentally get paint where I don't want it.  It is easier to wipe the unwanted paint off your project without taking off the basecoat.  You must however rub off gently with a damp cloth.
You can also use it as a sealer for your completed project.  It's inexpensive, durable, and will dry clear leaving a nice satin finish.  I use an appropriate size brush and apply it to my finished project.

Crackle finish
Paint your piece using acrylic paints. Allow to dry.  Cover the painted surface with a coat of Elmer's glue and apply another coat of acrylic paint in a different color.  As it begins to dry you will see the cracks begin to form.  Seal with above sealer recipe.

Paper mache
Use equal parts Elmer's glue and water and mix well.  Dip cut up strips of newspaper into the mixture and  run your fingers across the strips to remove the excess.  Apply to the paper mache surface. Balloons work well for paper mache projects.  This however is a messy project, but you can achieve some really awesome results with paper mache.  I cover my table I am going to be working on with freezer paper(shiny side up so the glue won't stick to it) and tape it down. When your done you can roll up the paper and toss it in the garbage, leaving little or no mess on your table.

I hope you have enjoyed this project.
Thanks
Phyllis

You

No comments:

Post a Comment