Friday, September 7, 2012
For his hat I started with a medium weight cardboard and shaped it into a cone. I've had this roll of cardboard laying around that works perfect for this kind of stuff. I really have no idea where it came from or what it is used for. It is about the thickness of a cearl box. I then tore several strips of newspaper in a variety of widths and set them aside. I then used about a 50/50 mix of Elmer's white glue and water and dipped the newspaper strips into them, and wiped most of the mixture off, leaving it wet enought to apply to the hat until the hat was completely covered in the newspaper. I allowed to dry and did a second coat. I cut the brim from the same cardboard and covered it in the same manner. I glued it to the cone with hot glue. Once it was dry I used a homemade paper mache paste that I found on pinterest. You can find the receipe here http://ultimatepapermache.com/paper-mache-clay I then used a pasty knife, or you can use a regular table knife also. I like the rounded edge of the pastry knives. They just seem to spread better. I covered the entire hat in a light to med coat of the paste and allowed to dry. This takes about 2-3 days to dry completly. Once dry I added a second coat. Once the second coat was dry I sanded it to kind of a rough finish, leaving some of the bumps and small air pocket holes to show. I then painted it in 2 coats of black. I did the pumpkin head in the same manner, but I used a plastic grocery bag from the grocery store stuffed with newspaper. I kinda shaped it by stuffing more in certain areas. I then followed the Elmer's glue/newspaper instructions for paper mache as above. Once dry I painted his head in 2 coats of Burnt Orange. I then sprayed him with 2 coats of a matte finish sealer and allowd to dry. I then mixed a bit of black with Burnt Umber and thinned it down with water, to the consistncey of ink and brushed it on a section at a time and quickly wiped some of it off with an old rag. I always keep a wet rag handy also, in case it starts to dry. I then dry brushed a few light highlights of Cadmium Yellow adding a bit more in the cheek areas. I then added his eyes, mouth, and nose. His legs are made from cut off railings, used to make the railings on a stairway. They were painted in Black and Burnt Orange and then sealed. Once everything was dry I drilled holes for his legs with a spade bit. I patched up the hole a bit with some of the paper mache paste and allowed to dry. I had already drilled a hole in the top of his head so I pulled out some of the newspaper with a pliers and then poured plaster a paris into the hole, to help keep his legs in place and nice and sturdy. Once dry I added some burnt Umber to his shoes, using a dry brush to make them look a little dirty. I then put a zebra pattern ribbon in his shoe strings then set him in his shoes. I also poured some plaster a paris in his shoes. Allow to dry overnight. I did the candy corns in the same paper mache method as above. I used some floral foam to cut the shape from, using a craft knife. I painted them in white, Burnt Orange, and Cadmium Yellow. I added a piece of twisted wire to the tops of the candy corns. I tied an orange ribbon around his hat and then glued the candy corns to the hat and then glued the hat to the pumpkin. I then hot glued natural spanish moss around the hairline and stuffed some in his shoes. I then lightly sanded areas on his legs, and there ya have it, a cute decoration for a porch, mantel, or where ever you choose. Jack stands appx 44” tall from the tip of his hat to the bottom of his shoes.